Episcopal Church of the Ascension Gaithersburg, MD
Position Description: Parish Administrator
Position Description: The Parish Administrator serves as the office manager and works collaboratively with the Rector, Wardens, Vestry, Ministers of Music, Liturgy and Communications, ministry team leaders of the congregation, and external contractors and vendors to ensure the smooth operation of the parish.
Office Management: Assures that a highly functional work environment is maintained
- Greet parishioners and visitors
- Maintain regular office hours
- Coordinate parish calendar
- Maintain office equipment & services (i.e., Realm, Vanco, Sharp Copier, QuickBooks, software updates )
- Advise rector on status of office equipment and needed repairs or upgrades
- Maintain contracts for office equipment and issues RFPs when contracts approach expiration
- Maintain parish database in Realm
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail
- Order supplies and other items needed for the office or parish
- Oversee administration budget & computer budget
- Documents and validates time and attendance for the parish staff
- Coordinate office volunteers
Financial Administration: Assures that financial records are accurately maintained
- Collaborate with finance ministers: Treasurer(s), Lead Counters and volunteer
- Interface with financial institutions including Bank of America, Vanco & Realm.
- Review all invoices and check requests, code them correctly and seek necessary approvals.
- Prepare checks for signing by the rector, treasurer, senior warden, and junior
- Send pledge statements to parishioners twice per year.
- Review members’ giving statements for accuracy.
- Prepare annual stewardship mailings, including pledge acknowledgements
- Enter contributions into donor database
Facilities Management: Assures the building is well maintained and welcoming
- Develop building maintenance schedule and coordinate with corresponding vendors
- Maintain all licenses and certifications (kitchen, elevator, HVAC, fire extinguishers, )
- Order custodial supplies
- Evaluate condition of building via daily walk through, and respond appropriately
- Interface with tenants and maintain facilities agreements and records
- Instruct tenants on equipment use in accordance with needs indicated in facilities agreement
- Schedule building use
- Collaborate with Junior Warden regarding building maintenance issues and needs.
- Oversight of building
- Maintain Columbarium Garden records and payments with Columbarium
- Assure observation of church security cameras and report any security risk as appropriate.
Rector Support: Assist the Rector with minor administrative tasks
- Update parish registry for baptisms, confirmations, weddings and funerals
- Research parish members requests for official church records.
- Prepare parochial report in partnership with the treasurer
- Maintain schedules for contractors and vendors, as appropriate
- Coordinate with ministry leaders regarding special services such as weddings, funerals, baptism,
- Communicate with parish groups as needed, obtaining information for annual report with the communications director/I.T. director
- Prepare Letters of Transfers as necessary
- Generates internal and external correspondence for the Reverend(s) and the executive leadership (Vestry) including but not limited to letters, memorandum, and reports; and coordinates and corresponds with the Washington D.C. Diocese staff
- Coordinates parish meetings with the Bishop
- Coordinates daily and weekly schedules for the Reverend(s);
- Manages and travel arrangements for the Reverend(s);
The successful candidate will be bilingual, have at least 3 years of general office management experience, a sense of humor and be detail oriented. Experience working in a non-profit organization is a plus and an understanding of the workings of the Episcopal Church is highly desirable.
This is a full-time position, 30 hour per week. Salary is competitive with full benefits (health/dental/vision insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, retirement contribution).
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to the Reverend Javier García Ocampo at [email protected]