Health & Wellness/Parish Nursing Ministries
Health & Wellness Ministry at Ascension is an intentional ministry focusing on both healing and health, combining the ancient traditions of the Christian community and the knowledge and tools of modern health care. For more information contact Laura Shay at [email protected].
Nurses, active and retired who are members of the parish are involved in this ministry.
- Blood Pressure Check-ups – Monthly blood pressure checks are offered the fourth Sunday of the month.
- Blood/Bone Marrow Drives
- Weekly Health Tips – Health tips on various topics are included in the weekly announcements.
- Weight Management and Health Classes – Weight management classes and other health classes are offered at Ascension. Watch the announcement bulletin and weekly emails for more information.
- CPR certification – CPR certification in partnership with Gaithersburg-Washington Grove Volunteer Fire Department. Watch the announcement bulletin and weekly emails for more information.
- Labyrinth & Other Spiritual Practices – At various times throughout the year, Ascension’s labyrinth is made available for prayerful walking. In addition, other spiritual practices including retreats, a Benedictine cell and contemplative prayer sessions are offered. Watch for announcements or speak to one of the clergy for more information.
- Yoga – Two yoga classes are offered each week: Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. and Wednesdays at 6:00 p.m. in the white Chapel. Check the Sunday announcements and parish website for occasionally blackout dates.
- Tai Chi Class – Tai Chi is an ancient tradition that helps us feel healthy and relaxed. It is a moving meditation. Claire Rosser proposes to lead a group through the 88 steps in the Yang Long Form on Thursdays from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
More information about Episcopal Health and Wellness Ministries can be found on the National Episcopal Church Health Ministries Facebook page..
Caring for the people of God is part of the church’s mission, and that care extends to the whole person-body, mind and spirit. As Christians, we are all called to be ministers, not only to spread the word of the Gospel, but to care for each other. The Pastoral Care Committee reaches out to fellow parishioners in a variety of ways.
- Pastoral Partners – One-on-one caring for seniors and shut-ins given by specially trained parishioners who extend a helping hand, pray together, and keep connections intact.
- Flower Delivery – After the Sunday services, the Altar Flowers are taken to members’ homes who are in need of extra brightness in their week.
- Casserole Delivery – A committee of caring Ascension cooks and bakers will make a meal for families and individuals in times of need, and deliver them to their homes.
- Sunrise Village House Services – Parishioners provide a weekly Sunday Communion service for seniors living at Sunrise Village House.
- Asbury Services – Services are held at Asbury the last Wednesday of the month at 9:30 am. A Souper Seniors luncheon is held the third Thursday of each month, so that residents of Asbury can meet and share in fellowship and community.
- Cancer Support Group – Meets monthly to provide support, caring and sharing of information for those diagnosed with cancer and their loved ones.
Please contact or email Javier Ocampo at 301-948-0122 ext. 12 or [email protected] for more information.